February 01, 2010

CRI Spotlight - Chris Martyniuk

Dr. Chris Martyniuk is CRI's newest Faculty member and also holds the newest Canada Research Chair (CRC)... that makes 6 CRC's in the CRI for anyone who is counting :).

We have a previous posting on sCRIbbles about Chris coming to the CRI, but I asked Chris for some info about himself so he could introduce himself some more to the CRI Community at large.


I recently commenced my appointment as an Assistant Professor at UNBSJ in the CRI (Fall 2009). My post-doctoral fellowship was held at the University of Florida where I was also an Assistant Research Professor prior to the move up North. My Ph.D. was completed at the University of Ottawa (Biology), M.Sc. at the University of Guelph (Zoology) and B.Sc. at Simon Fraser University (Biology).

My wife April and I have one little boy, Ethan, who was born Oct. 30th 2009 in Gainesville, Florida. I am originally from southern Ontario, a small town called Sarnia located along the St. Clair River. Coincidently, Karen Kidd is also originally from this small town, our parents living less than 5 km from each other. Small world!

My research uses molecular biology to address ecological questions, primarily how environmental contaminants affect fish. This research aims to increase the sensitivity of tools used to address global concerns over wildlife and human health, water resources, and risks to pollutants.

More specifically, my research investigates how pollutants (pesticides, herbicides, pharmaceuticals, industrial waste, and sewage effluent) affect cell processes and disrupts signalling pathways (via genomics and proteomics) along the reproductive axis in fish. I correlate reproductive physiology, molecular biology, bioinformatics, and tissue morphology into a “systems’ biology approach to study aquatic ecotoxicology.
access apply aquatic brunswick campus canadian centre committed contact continuing course cri education employment events faculty fredericton future graduate industry inquiries international issues john law map mission news office online outreach plans professionals programmes protecting research residence resources rivers saint services students study timetable training unb university water work world
created at TagCrowd.com